Thursday, May 15, 2014

Bad Weather Blues

I've always wondered why when the weather is bad so are peoples moods.

In English class while reading Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton we stumbled upon S.A.D or Seasonal Affective Disorder. What S.A.D basically is is a mood disorder. Its not critical like Bipolar Disorder, but serious in its own way. Its when people with moderate to good mental health experience a period of depression when the seasons change. Does the weather also count to S.A.D?

I noticed when it rains and the clouds are dark and the sun is nowhere to be seen like today in New York that I feel weird. I feel like I'm having an out of body experience. I have no drive to do anything and feel like just skipping school, running home and curling up in a warm ball of sheets.
http://jaxxvixx.blogspot.com/2011/09/first-storm-of-year-hit-here-on-our.html


Wikipedia says that S.A.D is tied to Bipolar disorder. Does that make me part of the 20%o of people who have bipolar disorder? I show no symptoms of seasonal disorder and bipolar disorder. In case you were wondering the symptoms of Seasonal Disorder: Nausea,oversleeping,overeating,and difficulty waking in the morning. The symptoms of Bipolar Disorder: Insomnia, Energetic episodes which include irrational decisions called Mania. Depressive episodes soon follow Mania. Depressive episodes are filled with anxiety, feelings of hopelessness, guilt, anger, and isolation.

People with S.A.D and Bipolar Disorder go through treatments. Therapy such as light therapy and cognitive behavioral therapy are used to treat S.A.D. Anti-Depressant medications are also used to treat S.A.D and Bipolar Disorder.

In my case, I don't think that sort of treatment is necessary for me to get through these cloudy days. Maybe I can make my own form of therapy through different projects and keeping myself busy.

2 comments:

  1. I never heard about this disorder before. I always thought that people hated dealing with the bad weather like I do. I like that people can relate to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have never really been in a bad mood cause of the weather the only thing that i can relate to is the urge of wanting to sleep whenever its raining or snowing

    ReplyDelete